Who links to me?
Google
Take the MIT Weblog Survey Who links to me?

August 27, 2005

WHEN I THINK OF HOME...











I woke up this morning in Laurel Canyon. I haven't spent a night here in years - at one point my family owned 10 homes in these hills, and today there's only 1 left and someone rents it out by the month. Last night after I cut out from the office, my friend picked me up and we hit the grocery store. I bought the fixings for Spinach Tagliatelle with Artichokes, Carmelized Onion, Spinach, Portabello Mushrooms, Roasted Red Pepper, Toasted Pine Nuts, Kalamata Olives, and White Wine Sauce; plus the stuff to make fried Polenta appetizer with Tomato Basil Cream Sauce and Provelone; and a salad with Red Leaf Lettuce, Scallions, Sweet Yellow Pepper, Roma Tomato & White Balsamic Viniagrette.

Came up the hill in my friends '87 custom Black on Black on Black american-made automobile (a former cop car) and turned past my alma mater, Wonderland Elementary School. I got to cooking and the homegirl called him; so she started to make her way up the hill once she learned food was involved. While listening to Mashup Radio Vol. 2, perfect for this crowd of a Motorsports marketing/management consultant, my Hip Hop-addicted ass, and the homegirl who works in brand marketing for Nike and pretty much listens to anything - we bantered back and forth without really bringin up the past.

The common denominator between us, our mutual former employer, is the "urban" fashion behemoth, Ecko Unltd. While we had some fun there, and some good times, we all have some stories and tales from the Rhino that ain't nothin' nice. Of course I was Senior Editor of Complex Magazine, while holmes consulted with them to blow them up in the motorsports world, and the homegirl worked her way up through the West Hollywood "Western Conference" office. There was some talk of Marc Ecko's new video game, and his recent run in with the NYC govt over his use of Graffiti as marketing; but once the pasta and salad came out, talk was cheap.

There's nothing like some home-cooked Italian food, some Weezer/Kanye West/Sneaker Pimps/GZA/DJ Muggs/DJ Warrior mashups, and three old friends doing the dishes together to strengthen old bonds. And for me, waking up in Laurel Canyon gets me juiced to stack big grits & get my own spot up here. After all, there's no place like home...

1 Comments:

At 4:27 PM, Blogger The Humanity Critic said...

Just passing through, cool blog by the way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home