Who links to me?
Google
Take the MIT Weblog Survey Who links to me?

July 11, 2005

BIEN COMIDA(S)





Arroz con Pollo...> It's What's for Dinner

In the middle of editing this huge, extensive, multi-faceted feature I'm almost done with (I swear) with the exception of inserting tomorrow's interview with the Dipset King, Mr. Jim Jones; I've been to the grocery store. And I'm just bugging off the difference between making Arroz con Pollo in New York and making it here in Southern California, a/k/a lil' Mexico.

The vegetables are pretty much the same, I can find sweet Vidalia onions, red and green sweet bell peppers, and jalapeno peppers in either place. Chicken, of course, that part is easy. Rice, arroz, pretty much the same, not a problem, no hay problemas con arroz.

Now where's the flavors switch up. I'm in the "international foods" aisle (in this area, San Gabriel, the foods in that aisle should really be everywhere in the grocery store 'cause it's nothing but Asians, Mexicans, Guatemalans, El Salvadorans, etc. here anyway) and it ain't no Goya in sight. NO HAY GOYA. Ai dios mio. So, no sofrito. Instead, busted a move with some Herdez salsa, and a can of Chipotles en Adobo. Add that to some dried oregano, Emeril's essence, Tony Chirone's Creole Seasoning, lime juice, 10 cloves of crushed garlic, and a box of chicken broth courtesy of Swanson's; and we're in bi'ness.

I can't eat this, it's not vegetarian, but my best friend's Esposo, Big H, is over here grubbin up on it. Them Chipotles is kickin' fo sho, he just said "I'm glad I ain't put no hot sauce on this though!" So I guess it's kinda spicy, but he's from the 'hood so it's never too spicy, right? "Whoo, Miranda, you got me over here sweatin'!" Hilarious.

The secret is to saute the chicken in the garlic, oil and a little (did I say a little, I meant a stick) of butter. Then place the chicken in a large baking pan and hook up the vegetables in the garlic-butter-oil til "translucent". Then throw the rice and spice in there, saute that up, mix in the adobo, salsa, and stock; then stir and boil. Then I pour that whole ensemble over the chicken, cover the pan with foil, and bake at 325 for about 25 minutes or until the rice is tender. A little fresh cilantro chopped and sprinkled on top does it justice, apparently.

Then the doorbell rang, with UPS leaving a package containing Ms. Danyel Smith's novel, BLISS. I know what I'm reading tonight! Besides my draft-cum-feature. Almost done, I swear. I SWEAR.

Love is Love,
Business is Business,

Mira, ja Una
La Sirena y Jornalista

10 Comments:

At 11:32 PM, Blogger alife allah said...

Paz,
NO GOYA??!!!! Shoot, I don't Knowledge what we're going to do when we travel abroad. The Earth will probably have it shipped in..lol.

Paz

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger WALASIA "MJ" SHABAZZ said...

PAZ

When I was living in Medina I had my auntie or my cousin's wife ship me enchilada sauce until I found a Mexican grocery.

Somebody out here got some damn Goya, and I'm gon' find it!!

PAZ

Mira

 
At 4:24 AM, Blogger WALASIA "MJ" SHABAZZ said...

AHA! Apparently I'm in the wrong region for Sofrito, and I was shopping at Ralphs which I guess hasn't the Goya. However I'm now hearing rumblings that Albertson's does have the Goya. Who knew?

Anyway, the internets explain Goya's regions, here

http://www.goya.com/english/products/product_category.html?id=3

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had this at McDonalds... super sized. Wasn't that bad.

 
At 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MJ, buscaba hoy una experiencia agradable del
blog en musica para escuchar y bajar y encontré su Web site. el this post
no era exactamente lo que buscaba pero consiguió mi
atención e interés. Veo porqué llegué en su Web site
excelente cuando buscaba para la información
relacionada musica para escuchar y bajar y estoy alegre yo aunque su no
un exacto cupe. Muchas gracias!

 
At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MJ, buscaba hoy una experiencia agradable del blog en descargar música y encontré su Web site. el this post no era exactamente lo que buscaba pero consiguió mi atención e interés. Veo porqué llegué en su Web site excelente cuando buscaba para la información relacionada descargar música y estoy alegre yo aunque su no un exacto cupe. Muchas gracias!

 
At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi MJ, CONOCIDO estoy buscando la tela para la
información más última y más grande sobre album completos descargar y
descubrí su gran sitio. Aunque el this post no era lo
que buscaba él consiguió específicamente
definitivamente mi interés y atención. Ahora veo
porqué encontré su blog interesante cuando buscaba la
información relacionada album completos descargar y soy agradecido
yo encontré su sitio aunque su no un fósforo perfecto.
Gran poste, gracias por su sitio informativo.

 
At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MJ, CONOCIDO buscaba hoy una experiencia
agradable del blog en musica para escuchar y bajar y encontré su Web site.
el this post no era exactamente lo que buscaba pero
consiguió mi atención e interés. Veo porqué llegué en
su Web site excelente cuando buscaba para la
información relacionada musica para escuchar y bajar y estoy alegre yo
aunque su no un exacto cupe. GRACIAS!

 
At 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola MJ, conocido hacia fuera estoy
practicando surf la tela para la información más
última sobre bajar canciones y noté su sitio agradable.
Aunque el this post no era lo que buscaba él consiguió
exactamente ciertamente mi atención. Ahora veo porqué
encontré su página cuando buscaba la información
relacionada bajar canciones y soy emocionado yo encontré
su Web site aunque su no un fósforo perfecto. El gran
poste, gracias por su sitio informativo.

 
At 2:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MJ, buscaba hoy una experiencia agradable del
blog en bajar canciones y encontré su Web site. el this post
no era exactamente lo que buscaba pero consiguió mi
atención e interés. Veo porqué llegué en su Web site
excelente cuando buscaba para la información
relacionada bajar canciones y estoy alegre yo aunque su no
un exacto cupe. Muchas gracias!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home