Who links to me?
Google
Take the MIT Weblog Survey Who links to me?

June 26, 2005

INTEGRITY, NOT JUST JOURNALISTIC INTEGRITY


This ain't the Daily Star, motherfathers!

QUOTE OF THE WEEK - "MIRANDA, NIGGAS KNOW WHEN TO GET OFF THE TITANIC!" - MESHACK BLAQ, PUBLISHER OF
THE KRONICK

Pardon up front, this one's gonna go on and on til the breakadawn.

Yesterday I got the chance to build with an old-school homie from the Bay, The Bishop of Hip Hop, the illustrious
Adisa Banjoko. A self-proclaimed "sexist in recovery", loving father of two beautiful children, author, public speaker, devout Muslim and expert on Islam in Hip Hop. He's recently published a book, which I'll get to in a moment. He's also recently been put through the wringer at the source publications, this time in a tug-of-war between Adisa as the writer, Jimmy Iovine as the subject, dave mays as the overseer, Fahiym Ratcliffe as the Editor in Chief, and Da'Sun Allah as the staff writer. You can read about the whole saga right here over at Adisa's spot, however our conversation touched on a lot more than that. We flipped over onto the sexual harrassment, sex discrimination and gender bias situation over there, and he asked me frankly what I think about the lawsuit. Then we got on the topic of integrity. To paraphrase Adisa, he's angry because no female journalist has come out and directly said that there are tenants to writing, interviewing, reporting, similar to how there are pillars in Islam.

So, I'll take that leap of faith, and say this. When female journalists cross the line toward sexual or personal relations with their subjects, they destroy the illusion of integrity that somewhat exists in the music business. Many people will now jump up and put their two cents in, and accuse me of crossing that line, or of being a groupie, etc. BECAUSE A) THEY DON'T KNOW ME FROM EVE AND B) THEY WOULDN'T DARE SAY SHIT LIKE THAT TO MY FACE. In the example of the most infamous episode, I met that person via a phone interview, however I didn't begin any type of relationship with that individual for over a year after that interview; and further I did not write about that individual, review any of his music, or conduct any further business in relation to him as a journalist, critic, writer and/or reporter. Furthermore, no one in this universe can name ANY artist that I've "fucked" on an interview, press junket, listening session, etc. Nor can anyone name anyone I've dated, or had intimate relations with, who is at all wealthy, famous, over-exposed, or "hot" in the rap game; because no such person exists. When I like (or love) someone, it's because of their mind, not because they're in rotation on BET or MTV Jams. I have my own money, and my own fame, and my own power. Ya'll dumbasses don't know me, I don't even fuck with dudes 'cause of how they look; I'm on a whole 'nother level.

I have NEVER been with anyone because they are famous, or because they are rich. People who know me know this. I am not a groupie. I'm not a hoe. I've spent years at a time on celibacy. I don't fuck rappers. I'm not a groupie-with-pen for hire. I'm a Hip Hop woman. I'm a B-Girl. I'm a cultural critic. I'm a music business expert, and I often write/report on the topic. Whom I sleep with is my own personal business, and if I choose to speak on it, I will.

SO, TO WIND IT DOWN, TO ALL THE LADIES OUT THERE WRITING FOR XXL, THE SOURCE, VIBE, OR ANY OTHER RAG/MAG, DON'T HAVE SEX ON THE JOB. AND IF YOU'RE RAPED ON THE JOB, OR SEXUALLY HARRASSED, BY A RAPPER, EDITOR, PUBLISHER, OR ANYONE ELSE, DIAL 911. GET A LAWYER. SUE. OR HANDLE IT IN THE STREETS.

Now back to Adisa. Check out this
MP3, it's just a little sample of a CD he's fixin' to drop with DJ Relm and Balance to go with his next book, Lyrical Swords Vol. 2: Westside Rebellion. And while you're there, check out his style! This is a man who's challenged KRS-1 to a debate, so if you want to know where the real Hip Hop is, it's right here at Lyrical Swords!

IN OTHER NEWS, I received an email today from journalist Peter Agoston, who's also a businessman who's released a lot of the instrumental records from ya'll male groupies' favorite Super Villain... I'm sharing this email, and my response here with you now, to answer any further concerns about integrity in general.

peter agoston wrote:
Miranda,I saw your diatribe on mf doom. As a journalist yourself, don't you think it would have been appropriate to ask my permission before opening your story with a two-paragraph quote from me? I found it was used out of context, in effect fashioning my words into an opinion that was not my own, in a language that was not being expressed in the story I wrote. Granted, for a blog it was, its irresponsible writing that if used in print may be considered Libel, and would not be taken as lightly as this email.Next time you want to use my words, I suggest contacting me first.
Regards,Peter Agoston

mizmirandajane wrote:
Peace Peter. Thanks for the email. As a journalist, I would have asked for your permission and "Egon's" permission as well. However, what I write on my blog is for the most part off the dome, and I've not said anything about the whole situation in writing for upwards of two years. Reading the piece, and reading what Eothen said, pissed me off to such an extent and reminded me exactly how much $ we're talking about -- I had to write about it; and not in a newspaper, magazine, or for a news site. As someone who's all too familiar with the work-product and subsequent b.s. I trust you can understand where I'm coming from. Also, you know exactly who I am and you know my years-long history with this situation. Before
Rhymesayers, Stonesthrow, Ninja Tune, Nature Sounds, Female Fun, and all the rest; there was Day by Day and I'm proud to have helped Grimm build that foundation. At the end of the day, what happened to me (and so many other businesspeople) and the resulting words (and actions) are ultimately the responsibility of one person...Doom. I do apologize to you if you feel that the quote I used from Egon withing your piece somehow created a false sense of what your opinion on the situation may be. And in future I wish you the best with all of your endeavors.
PEACE Miranda Jane


SO, I'M GOING BACK TO WORK. AND I'M ON RENEGADE STATUS. AS WE'VE ESTABLISHED, I'M NO HOE/WHORE. AND THEREFORE I HAVE NO PIMP. SHIT, I DIDN'T EVEN HAVE ONE AT THE SOURCE, CONTRARY TO WHAT SOME OF YOU MIGHT THINK.

KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE SOHH BLOG NETWORK, YOU'LL SEE ME THERE IN A FEW MINUTES. LOOK FOR SOME REVIEWS UP AT WWW.ALLHIPHOP.COM AND STAY READING WWW.VERBALISMS.COM FOR MORE WORK FROM THE KID. FINALLY, I'LL BE BRINGING BACK THAT OLD STRESS SHIT AT WWW.PROHIPHOP.COM, WITH THE BREAKDOWNS OF THE MUSIC BIZ TRICKNOLOGY AND HOW-TO'S ABOUT THE HIP HOP GAME. SO KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR THE BYLINE, 'CAUSE I'M NOT DOING THIS FOR THE MONEY. I'M ALREADY ALMOST-FAMOUS, SO THAT AIN'T IT.

WHY AM I HERE? I'M HERE TO SPEAK THE TRUTH TO THE YOUNG HIP HOP YOUTH. BELIVE THAT.

Live from Love Allah,
Miranda Jane
Early

1 Comments:

At 1:25 AM, Blogger Q said...

Let it all out girl... never knew half of that ish. If I would have known I would pressed DOOM for the 411 went I interviewed him in December... that's cold how you were done... Anyway, I got your back, keep doing ya thing...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home