Who links to me?
Google
Take the MIT Weblog Survey Who links to me?

June 19, 2005

Food Networking


Food Networking: Where Culinary Skills and New Media Intersect


Now let me be the first one to say I love Paula Deen. She’s fat, fun and fabulous. And I love that she offers the occasional vegetarian southern recipe. But I was watching the Food Network the other day, and she made the most haram, trayfe, vile sea-insect concoction I’ve seen. It was crab-stuffed butterflied shrimp, rolled in bacon and broiled. It made my stomach turn, but at the same time it got my mind working.

First of all, there really should be at least one vegetarian cooking show on Food Network. Then, there really oughta be a Black cooking show on Food Network as well. Perhaps I ask for too much?

Growing up I wasn’t allowed to watch much TV, but I could watch PBS, and had it been around in those days I could’ve watched Food Network. I loved to watch Justin Wilson, that crazy Cajun man, cook up. Another favorite was the Galloping Gourmet, not to mention Julia Child and Martin Yan. Basically I gleaned a lot of my culinary skills from watching these shows, and I learned how to modify recipes from pork-full to pork-free. People love my veggie Jambalaya and my vegetarian Cornbread Dressing, especially when I include the Morningstar veggie sausage products. No one misses the meat.

There are some good cookbooks out there, but once a cookbook is printed, it’s dead (at least until another edition is printed). And while I’m certainly not one to follow food trends, there’s definitely something to be said for all the new products being introduced, not to mention all the great markets like Whole Foods and local co-ops who carry items you don’t see in Ralphs, Rainbow, Vons or Cub Foods.

So what does all this have to do with Hip Hop? I’m a Hip Hop chef! I’ve cooked for Hieroglyphics, Dilated Peoples, Tha Alkaholiks, Self Scientific, dead prez, DJ Muggs of Cypress Hill, KMD, and many more artists that I’ve interviewed. I’m working on a cookbook about these recipes and more as we speak.

You know, my blogging experience really began on a food blog. The Julie/Julia project on Salon.com filled my boring days working reception with exciting food-related reading. So I wanted to find some more food blogs. And I’ve compiled some of the really good ones here for ya’ll.

The Pie Queen
Restaurant Whore
Delicious Paths
The Soul Fusion Kitchen
Burning My Fingers
The Cheese Diaries
The Cracked Cauldron

And this, a most comprehensive list of food-related blogs and websites can be found here at KipLog

And if anyone can help me find my ol'skool homeboy Gary Burks, a/k/a Big Cuervo from W/S Poserz 13, I've heard he has a Hip Hop cooking show on public access cable out here in L.A. HOLLA!

9 Comments:

At 9:44 PM, Blogger alife allah said...

Peace,
A-ight. That is some nasty sh%t. I feel like I violated eating the right foods just by reading its description!
Peace,
C’BS ALife Allah

 
At 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

heard crow from prz is in miami running a club and doing his music,didnt know about the pub access thing,curious 2 find out though...let me know more..maybe i can get u his cell
el chuco prz

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger WALASIA "MJ" SHABAZZ said...

OYE EL CHUCO
Man, PLEASE hit me up I need to find Big Crow, Yo. U know Lucky went to chef school and became a big-time chef too, right?

I'm at mizmirandajane@yahoo.com

The homegirl Monalisa said he was working for Adelphia cable a few years back and developing a cooking show over there.

PEACE to PRZ!

 
At 1:43 AM, Blogger Joy said...

So glad you're reading...I'll keep whorin' it up for you.

xoxo
Joy, a.k.a. The Restaurant Whore

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello MJ,

One of the sections in my article directory is recipes ... while looking for blogs on luau recipes, I discovered your this post article.

Most people believe the best content on the internet is created by bloggers ... original content, experiences and opinions. Nothing to sell and no hidden agendas!

As someone who appears to be interested in luau recipes, I am sure you will find our recipes section to be interesting. I am continually searching for bloggers to submit articles and assist me to expand the directory to all our benefit. By contributing, you not only get the recognition of being an author, but also knowing your submission will be seen by many hundreds of internet surfers. The pride and satisfaction of seeing your article published in a prestige directory is hard to beat.

Not all of us are born with the talent to write to high standards of literacy ... as a consequence, a lot of bloggers don't try to have their articles published.

I like an informal style of writing that matches your personality and fits in with your article content. I welcome articles that are uniquely based on your personal knowledge, experiences and opinions. All I request is that your content does not contain vulgar language, incite hatred or generally offensive.

Without any commitments ... please pop over and browse my blog articles directory for yourself.

Kind Regards
Mary

 
At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi MJ.
Your blog this post is great? What a great way to find information! I have been looking for sites about Alternative Health Products. Your blog is not quite a match for Alternative Health Products, but it is very interesting and I have enjoyed reading it. Keep up the good work.
Mable

 
At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY WHUTS UP JUST SHOWIN RESPECTS 2 THA PEOPLE WHO PAVED THA ROAD AHEAD OF ME W/ PRZ AND ON MY WORD WERE STILL KEEPIN IT STRONG 2 THIS DAY LIL CROW SNAPY SOLO DROOPY AND KLUMZEE PUT ME ON RAMSGATEBLOCKPROTECTINGLILTOKERZREPRESENTING PRZ IS STILL PRZ AND WE GONNA KEEP IT THAT WAY LATES..........

 
At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHATS UP HOMIES FROM THE WS.POZERZ LAX TOWN......ITS YOUR BOY LUCKS.....TELL LIL.CROW AND THE HOMIES THAT I SAID Q-VO AND STAY SAFE AND I CONTINUE TO ASK THE LORD JESUS TO WATCH OVER YOU GUYS....

LUCKY.
POSERZ

 
At 2:38 AM, Blogger SNIPER said...

WHATS UP LUCKY MUCH LOVE IN THE HOOD WITH BLACKY.SOLO.BIG HOMIE SNIPER JUST GOT BACK FROM LAS VEGAS WE PARTY FOR 5DAYS CHECK SOME SHOWS AND CLUBIT WITH THE HOMIES(MAY 2008)POSERZ 13 LAX.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home