Who links to me?
Google
Take the MIT Weblog Survey Who links to me?

July 01, 2005

All Natural Beauty


100% Natural

I always get comments in the streets about how good I smell, how smooth my skin looks, and how I have such shiny, healthy hair. Those of you who know me know about the whole organic health food regime on my Mom's side of the family, it's been going on for four generations now. My homegirls know a few of my beauty secrets, and some of them are hip to a few of the products I use. But today, in an unprecedented act, I'm going to share all my secrets right here on Pyramids 2 Projects. Check it out... And to all my gentlemen readers, don't leave yet, read ahead and click on these links - your grandmother, mother, aunties, sisters, daughters, and Queens will thank you for it!

It's Da Balm! For real, that's what it's called. Perfect for dancers, skaters, walkers, runners, bikers, or anyone who has owie feet.
www.capoieragear.com

I'm the third generation of women in my family to use this
pure Olive Oil soap. The best face soap, period.
www.kissmyface.com

Jasmine Petal Sea Salt Soak...relax in a hot bath and smell good doin' it.

www.africasgarden.com

The true test of a righteous person - do they wash up with
Dr. Bronner's? Peppermint, Lavender, or Almond are the best!
www.drbronner.com


For the teeth, I like Tom's of Maine flouride-free toothpaste in Cinnamint. To keep my teeth white I sometimes brush with a paste of pure baking soda and just enough water to make it stick to the toothbrush.


www.lifesvigor.com (Tom's of Maine no longer sells direct from their site, www.tomsofmaine.com)

Another wonderful bar soap,
Dudu Osun, the best of the Black soaps I've found.
www.afrikanrepublic.com

Try the
Aloe Herbal Hair Wash with Ylang-Ylang & Vanilla scent.
www.ebenenaturals.com

Alba deep conditioner is thick, rich and leaves a delicious scent in your hair. I use a teeny, tiny bit as a leave-in.
www.houseofnutrition.com (don't know if Alba has a website of their own, also available at Whole Foods markets!)

I can't live without the
Beeswax and Banana hand creme...it smells like yummy banana bread fresh from the oven
www.burtsbees.com (Also try the complexion soaps and the amazing citrus facial scrub)

The "Aries" scented
butter smells SOOO good...but my favorite is the CitrousCin.
www.myemagine.com (I met this Sister at a street fair in Eagle Rock, and her products are TO DIE FOR. Try the Milk bar soap, which doubles as a shampoo!)

Anahita's Hair Butter is divine, Heavenly Spirit Body Butter works every time!
www.warmspirit.com

Khoret Amen Shea Butter Hair Smoothie! Sweet Almond Cookie Oil! Mmmmm...yummy
www.carolsdaughter.com

Delicious
body scrubs in Ginger Sweet Coconut or Peppermint Dark Chocolate
www.inkylovesnature.com

I suggest
Aura, Honeydew Melon, or Hibiscus. My signature blend is Chocolate Kiss, Orange Blossom, and Peppermint (Essential Oil) mixed together - three parts chocolate, two parts orange, to one part peppermint.
www.bodytimeproducts.com (this is the original Body Shop, however when the company in the UK started they got richer faster and so they changed the name to Body Time, located on Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley, CA)

Hella Good! What more can I say?
www.hellagoodproducts.com

Shea Butter is the best moisturizer I've found for hands, feet, lips, even hair. I custom-scent this butter with an oil or two from Body Time, and keep it moving...
www.nasabb.com

Before I cut off all my hair, I used
this oil during the summer to prevent my hair from drying out. The scent is Tiare (Tahitian Gardenia) and it smells amazingly good. If you really want to go for the gusto, wear this scent along with the hair oil.
Monoi Tiare hair oil from http://mailorderhawaii.com and fabulous Hawaiin solid perfume from www.maliekauai.com

Try the
CitrousCin (Orange and Cinnamon) in the sugar scrub. Um, er, uhh...it's "lickable" literally, edible. Now that's all natural!
www.myemagine.com

Now ladies, if someone sent you a gift basket with all of the above items inside, not on a special occasion or "holiday" but just because...how pampered would you be?!!

I almost forgot!
Jane Carter Solution leave-in conditioning spray. It brings out the curls in my hair and it's not greasy at all. Thank you Jane!
www.thejanecartersolution.com

I've made my own sugar scrub with great success, the recipe is


1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup Bustelo fine-ground coffee (or other "Spanish" espresso)
1 tablespoon madagascar vanilla
1 orange (juice, pulp and outer peel)
1 1/2 cups Sugar in the Raw
1/2 cup Sage Honey
3 cinnamon sticks, crumbled
1/4 cup rock salt

Mix into a paste and use as a body scrub in the bath or shower. Keeps in the fridge for a couple of weeks. Add an essential oil such as Rosemary or Peppermint, or some grated fresh Ginger root, for a more invigorating scrub. I made that up when I was living in Brooklyn, but it worked wonders, and people say if you take a bath in coffee you'll come in to money.

I guess this all started with my Mother who made her own candles from scratch in different colors, scents, shapes and sizes. Check out this site for
candle-making supplies, and this message board with tips on making homemade candles (and soap).

Check these techniques and tips from other women who get down the All Natural Way:

B-Girl Peppa

Funk Creative Diva

Yetunde Taiwo Rodriguez

Stephanie Rose Bird

Susie Parker Goins

Donna Maria

P.S. If you have any favorites to add on, post up in the comments or email me at mizmirandajane@yahoo.com

P.P.S. If you're reading this, and I shouted out your product, send me a lil gift basket or something, Please? Thank you.






6 Comments:

At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog! I also have a site about sephra chocolate fountain
. You can check it out at sephra chocolate fountain


Also, as a thank you for visiting my site, I'd like to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE DVD Camcorder! Just click the following link and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area!

FREE DVD Camcorder

 
At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog MJ. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for fragrance oil related information and found your site. I have a fragrance oil site. You can find everything about candle supplies, gel candles, jar candles, and how to make your own candles. You'll find it very informative. Please try and visit it, see what you think.

 
At 6:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog MJ. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for candle kit making related information and found your site. I have a candle kit making site. You can find everything about candle supplies, gel candles, jar candles, and how to make your own candles. You'll find it very informative. Please try and visit it, see what you think.

 
At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sick of standing in line for Holiday purchases? Now you dont have to and you can save 20%. We just reduced our prices 20% in celebration of the holidays. Choose from Electronics, Clothes, Kitchen Items, Beautiful Jewelry, Toys, Watches and more. Over 15000 items to choose from all at reduced prices.

http://www.worldgifthaven.com

dog breed gift

 
At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic blog you've got here MJ, I was looking for scented candle related information and found your site. I have a scented candle site. You can find everything about candle supplies, gel candles, jar candles, and how to make your own candles. You'll find it very informative. Stop by and check it out when you can.

 
At 1:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi MJ, very unique blog you have! I was looking for candle wax related information and came across your site. Very good info, I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a candle wax site. You can find everything about candle supplies, gel candles, jar candles, and how to make your own candles. You'll find it very informative. Please visit it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home